Friday, June 21, 2013

Interview with Industry Insider: Associate Producer Julia Conley




Name:  Julia Conley

Industry: TV and documentary 
                film production

Where do you work? 

I am an associate producer on “Moyers & Company,” a weekly news analysis show that airs on PBS affiliate stations.


What made you choose a career in TV and film?

I started feeling interested in working in film production when I was in high school; I guess I just watched a lot of movies and wanted to be involved in them when I grew up. In college, I became more and more interested in politics, current events and social issues, so documentary film or TV news started to seem like a good way to combine both interests.

I got an internship at a small documentary film production company my sophomore year in college, and fell in love with the kind of work they did there. I loved the idea of being able to tell a compelling true story in an artistic way. That led to more internships and random set PA jobs that I found on Craig’s List, which helped me get familiar with what it was like to work on set, and eventually my first full-time job on a weekly PBS show.

Tell me about one of your best experiences on the job.

I worked on an historical documentary film about the US Navy a couple of years ago. It was quite challenging – I was the associate producer and was responsible for getting permission from the Navy to film on their property (FYI: the Navy does not like to let filmmakers on their property), and did all of the production coordination on several shoots that were taking place across the country. It was honestly more responsibility than I’d had on my previous job and there were some overwhelming moments. But it also made me push myself to be the best negotiator I could be, and to be as persistent as I could be in order to get everything we needed. I also was involved in finding, pre-interviewing, and selecting people to appear in the film. It was fascinating to hear the stories of all these men and women who had been in the Navy, and it was also really satisfying to be trusted with all that responsibility all at once for the first time. 



What was something that took you by surprise when you first got started?

I think I was surprised by how persistent you really need to be in order to get jobs. If you find a person or company you want to work for, you may think that contacting them too much will be annoying. But if you make a point of stating your interest in a job or company, getting in touch and telling them why they should interview you, and then following up every few weeks or so in a friendly way to make sure they haven't forgotten - you are actually already showing them that you have production skills. So much of working in production (and probably other jobs) is following up with people - everyone has emails and voicemails piling up and you're not always their first priority. When you show you're willing to work tirelessly to get a job, you're showing that you'll also work tirelessly to get permission to film in a location, or figure out the answer to a complicated research question, or clear rights to some obscure photo for a show that needs to be delivered in six hours.


Trying to break into this field is a real eye-opener for many that want to rise in the ranks. For the purpose of sharing the reality of working in media and entertainment, what do you feel is the most difficult part of trying to establish yourself in the industry.

Networking is a big part of working in film/TV, and it's just something you have to get used to if it doesn't come naturally to you (it definitely doesn't to me!). I'm fairly shy, and I also don't love to talk about work in social situations - both fine personality traits to have in general, but not ones that go well with staying on people's radars. So over the past few years I've just forced myself to get comfortable with starting conversations with people about what they're working on at industry events. I've gotten over the idea that offering my business card is "pushy." Everyone in the industry is always networking, reminding people of when they'll be available to work, finding out if there are positions available on a production or at a company - you just have to believe that you have the right to be out there doing the same thing, and that you won't be pestering anyone any more than they've pestered other people during their careers.


Any projects coming up that you’d like to tell us about?

I'll be working on my current show until the beginning of next year, and have some great segments coming up this summer about the March on Washington in 1963, and one on hunger in America. After this show, I'd like to work on a documentary film again, but don't have a job lined up (so after I finish these questions I'll be taking my own advice and sending out some emails).

Do you have any advice for up and comers trying to break into tv or film?

Remember to follow up with people *after* they have helped you to connect with someone, or to get an interview or a job; don't get in touch with people only when you need their help. 



No comments:

Post a Comment