Monday, April 22, 2013

Interview with Industry Insider: Editor Amy Frank





Name: Amy Frank

Industry: Television Production


Where do you work?: 


Vinnie Potestivo Entertainment (VPE). I am an Editor at VPE. I edit everything from sizzle reels, to casting tapes, to on-air segments for network TV shows.


What made you choose this career path?


I majored in Television/Radio with a concentration in Video Production at Ithaca College, so since graduating it was always my goal to work in TV production. 


Tell us about one of your best experiences on the job.


Where do I begin? As I was racking my brain trying to think of a story, I went over all the crazy things that have happened over the course of my 8 year television career. Everything from living in a hotel in LA eating exclusively gas station food for a SyFy channel film shoot, to running a casting call of sumo wrestlers for an infomercial, to climbing over piles of garbage and animal feces in the home of a hoarder for FOX's Buried Treasure. 

The story that stands out the most, however, is the heart to heart I had with Gordon Ramsey while working on Kitchen Nightmares many years ago. On a particularly grueling day, Chef Ramsey approached another member of the crew and myself, and told us that even though we were young, to stay focused on our careers. He said not to get caught up in partying, or boys, or meth (kidding...well really, don't do meth!), or any other distractions. He said that if we were true to ourselves and continued to be hard workers and passionate about what we do, the rest will fall into place. As I continue to grow as an editor, I've kept Chef Ramsey's words in mind. Whenever there have been temptations to be lazy, or take the easy road (or meth), I think of that long, exhausting day and remember that if I stay focused I'll get through it. 


What was something that took you by surprise when you first got started?

When I first started in the industry, what took me by surprise were the LONG HOURS! Growing up, you're taught that normal adults work 9-5 jobs. The 12+ hour days on set and/or in the production office certainly took some getting used to, but when you love what you do, the time flies. It should also be known that in no way are production people "normal" adults, having nothing to do with the hours we work.




Trying to break into this field is a real eye opener for many that want to rise in the ranks. For the purpose of sharing the reality of working in media and entertainment, share what you feel is the most difficult part of about trying to establish yourself in this industry.

The most challenging part of trying to establish yourself in this industry, is understanding and coming to terms with the freelance lifestyle. There will always be pockets of time without work. It's just the nature of the business. Learning how to use that down time productively is key. 


Any projects/jobs coming up that you'd like to talk about? 

Confidentiality agreements prevent me from giving too much away, but there is a new MTV series for which I recently edited on-air segments that I'm very excited about. I'm happy to post an update as soon as the show becomes public knowledge! 

Advice for up and comers trying to break into you area of media? 

NETWORK. Keep in touch with every single person you work with and touch base with them periodically. Some will respond, some won't. Just keep reminding people that you're alive. This has been career-saving for me. Eventually, a handful of these people will continuously recommend you for jobs, and the down time between gigs diminishes.







No comments:

Post a Comment